Trump brings back 10,000 jobs

• “I’d be more than happy to bring back the employees we’ve been forced to lay off during that depressive period,” he said, which could be close to 10,000 jobs.

• @Tazz

Aren’t you afraid of pissing off tigger and Blanks with stories like this? ;-)

• @Jam said in Trump brings back 10,000 jobs:

@Tazz

I hope Trump follows through on his infrastructure rebuilding plan. I really do. My concern with that though, is all those backroom deals that are going to be made in the process that could really alter the potential progress.

• @Jam said in Trump brings back 10,000 jobs:

@Tazz

I’m not sure why this would piss me off?

Is it economically risky to go on a state spending spree? Historically many people here argue that it is by default, but I’ve always tried to point out that it’s only a problem if the GDP does not grow at a comparable rate (expecting some delay).

• @tigger said in Trump brings back 10,000 jobs:

@Jam said in Trump brings back 10,000 jobs:

@Tazz

Is it economically risky to go on a state spending spree? Historically many people here argue that it is by default, but I’ve always tried to point out that it’s only a problem if the GDP does not grow at a comparable rate (expecting some delay).

Another in the growing list of your misunderstanding of my intent . . .

My comment was a light-hearted jab.

• Careful, railroad agent

Well think about it- if Trump actually tries to build a physical wall, of course tons of steel will be needed, even if it’s just stiffening rebar or the like.

Even a more logical arrangement like a border interdiction base every 100 miles would be a huge project.

• moderators

@tigger said in Trump brings back 10,000 jobs:

@Tazz

That was the problem with the stimulus they passed in 2009ish. Most of the spending went to supporting government jobs that would have been lost due to tax revenue shortfalls rather than private sector jobs that would have put laid off people back to work. So as a result it took two terms to crawl out of the economic downturn and people still have not recovered in terms of average wages lost from the crash/layoffs.

• Gold

@Kilemall said in Trump brings back 10,000 jobs:

Well think about it- if Trump actually tries to build a physical wall, of course tons of steel will be needed, even if it’s just stiffening rebar or the like.

Even a more logical arrangement like a border interdiction base every 100 miles would be a huge project.

we should use Mexican steel for that wall…

• Careful, railroad agent

@Whoofe said in Trump brings back 10,000 jobs:

Er… well it certainly would put more jobs in Mexico so they stay there, not sure that gets the intended effect.

• @Kilemall said in Trump brings back 10,000 jobs:

Er… well it certainly would put more jobs in Mexico so they stay there, not sure that gets the intended effect.

There is a steel firm in Mexico who has already stepped up and the CEO indicated he’d be pleased to help Trump on the wall.

Using inferior Mexican steel would keep the economy going in slack times as the wall will fall apart in five years and we can build it again in Trump’s second term.

• moderators

Why wouldn’t we use U.S. Steel?

• @Gators1 said in Trump brings back 10,000 jobs:

@tigger said in Trump brings back 10,000 jobs:

@Tazz

That was the problem with the stimulus they passed in 2009ish. Most of the spending went to supporting government jobs that would have been lost due to tax revenue shortfalls rather than private sector jobs that would have put laid off people back to work. So as a result it took two terms to crawl out of the economic downturn and people still have not recovered in terms of average wages lost from the crash/layoffs.

But they have shiny uniforms!

• @Gators1

Do you want to build the wall only once or would you prefer to rebuild it every five years?

OK, for the humor challenged, that was a joke as was my previous post, though it is absolutely true that the Mexican steel cement industry is willing to help build the wall.

Of course, I would prefer to keep the jobs and the money in the US.

• Gold

yah but they’d be the ones paying for it

• This may help the coal industry too.
    If I was Trump I would charge China triple the price for our coal so it would be almost free to US consumers.

• @Tazz said in Trump brings back 10,000 jobs:

This may help the coal industry too.

And the coke industries . . . both of them. ;-)

• I just watched Trump in Iowa and he sure can fire up the crowd for over an hour. Good job slamming his predecessors too.
    Funny commentator said “If that was Hillary there she would have charged $300,000 and the speech would have lasted only 10 minutes”

This may help the coal industry too.
    If I was Trump I would charge China triple the price for our coal so it would be almost free to US consumers.

Coal is done. There’s nothing that can stop it from going out the door. What should be happening is investments into training miners and coal workers to transition them into energy production jobs that are more efficient.

China has dropped it’s coal production 15% in 2016 alone, they are moving away from dirty energy sources as fast as they can. They are living the results of it and the toll that this does on the human population. They aren’t fucking around when it comes to clean energy, the stability of their country depends on it.

• @Blanks China better do something about pollution. They have a long way to go.

@Blanks China better do something about pollution. They have a long way to go.

It’s definitely going to be an uphill battle for them